Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What should I do to make flowers bloom in my yard?

I have a lot of trees in my yard, so there is a lot of shade. I have planted plants that can grow in the shade, but those that should flower rarely do. I have tried Miracle Gro. I'm afraid the soil is depleated of nutrients because of all of the trees - how do I fix it?What should I do to make flowers bloom in my yard?
Remedy your soil problems by determining what key elements are missing from your soil. Your local agricultural extension office can test your soil sample for pH and nutrient levels. The analysis includes detailed results and suggested amendments specific to your region.





To improve your soil, thoroughly mix in peat moss, compost, manure, %26amp; other organic materials to help loosen the soil, improve its texture (for better drainage %26amp; nutrient retention), add micro- and macro nutrients to the soil, provide a good environment for earthworms %26amp; enrich the soil's bacterial activity ( which, in turn, has a direct affect on the availability of mineral salts to plants).





This site provides remedies for too low or too high PH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, or Potassium:


http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=ho鈥?/a>


For example: If you find that that your soil is low in Phosphorus, which is needed for blooms, you can mix superphosphate or bone meal into your garden soil, making sure to mix these amendments into the soil thoroughly.





Here's a list of organic fertilizer sources, along with the % of Nitrogen, Phosphorus %26amp; Potash they provide:


http://www.masternurseries.com/care_of_p鈥?/a>


The above site also tells how much %26amp; how often to apply fertilizers %26amp; admendments.





Good Luck! Hope this is helpful.What should I do to make flowers bloom in my yard?
You're welcome! Glad to help :) Report Abuse

I found an easy to manage solution to the same shady problem in my yard. We have huge maple trees and they take most of the water and nutrients as well as make a canopy from the sun. I found some big plastic planter pots and window boxes and put nice new soil into those, then I planted impatiens and other bloomers that like the shade in the containers. We have flowers under the trees now, and if they start looking not so great, they're easily moved to a sunnier spot or I can remove them and plant new flowering plants in the container. Best of luck with your gardening - wish I could do some right now, but it's snowing ...
Depends on what type of soil you have, but some compost will work wonders. contrary to a previous answers reply you should loosen the soil as deep as you can at least six inches at a bare minimum. If possible go to some farmers establishment and buy well aged manure. Repulsive as it may seem to you there is no better 'compost' available.
Into the soil, I mixed in organic compost and some Plant-tone organic fertilizer to recondition the soil, then planted. I turned over the earth a few inches deep. It worked out pretty well.
You could try a mixed packet of shade flower seeds. Just cultivate and toss, pull out what looks ugly and before you know it you'll have a pretty garden with little effort. Plus the flowers that will grow will adapt well from seedlings to the soil and climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin