Friday, December 11, 2009

How can I make my bouganvilla bloom more?

I live in Phoenix and the bouganvilla faces east and gets sun only until mid-day. Can I add something to the soil?How can I make my bouganvilla bloom more?
http://www.ehow.com/how_2020130_grow-bou鈥?/a>


I hope it helps a bit.How can I make my bouganvilla bloom more?
Ours do well in full sun several hours a day and not being over watered.


The plants around the yard are covered with blossoms. One is along back of the house, facing West. Another is on the side of the house facing South and it gets some shade from a nearby Oleander tree as well as part of the neighbors property. One more is also on a South facing area of the house and it too has an abundance of blooms and lots of good growth. Have had to cut that one back twice in the last month to control over growth.





Oh yeah, there are more on a North fence and they all are growing very well.





I would say neglecting the plant could be a good place to start.
I refer to bougainvilleas as the masochists of the plant world. They thrive on abuse, so I would plant them in poor soil and let them wilt almost to the point of dying before you water them. Some people even take a stick and beat the plants (I swear!). They prefer to be root bound, so it's best if they're grown in a small pot. If you've already planted it in the ground, you can ';root prune'; it by taking a sharpshooter shovel and cutting all the way around the root ball. This will surely shock it and make it bloom.





As far as fertilizer, bougainvilleas prefer a high phosphorus fertilizer like Super Bloom. Once they start blooming, they bloom a long time, and you should water them regularly, but when they quit blooming, start abusing them again.





I know this sounds crazy, but it works. Try it out. i hope this helps.
Keep it dry and it loves to be pot bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin