Friday, December 11, 2009

How often do Azalea plants bloom?

My Azalea Plant had bright pink flowers about three weeks ago, now they have all fallen off but plant is all green and looks very healthy. When can I expect new flowers?How often do Azalea plants bloom?
Azaleas bloom only once a year...in May. The rest of the year, it makes for a nice green shrub.How often do Azalea plants bloom?
An Azalea bush blooms in the spring,thats it that I know of.
Azalea plants only bloom once a year don't expect anything till this time next year.. Very rare that they would bloom again this year.. I have5 of them.
1 time a year
Sorry, they only bloom once a year in the early spring. The leaves are pretty if it is a healthy plant though.
I live in New England so I can only speak for New England.


Once a year in the spring . No ifs ,ands, or buts! sorry, They are so beautiful, I would also like to see them year round!
I am late answering this question.


Most are right.


Formosa's, G.L. Tabors and most of the old favorites bloom only in the spring.


Fashion Azalias bloom in Spring and Fall.


Their are new breeds now that bloom year round. Check with your nursery. Unfortunately, I have the most experience with the first two. I love the two first ones I mentioned. They are hardy and proven.


Fashions die more easily and I have not really seen great bloom from them. Lots of blooms but not as showy.





The new ones are really being pushed in Houston now. They sell for about twice the price and I have not tried them yet.





Break up the root ball of any new azalia you plant and you will have much greater success with new growth and keeping it healthy. As purchased, you may have to score it with a knife. But, don't worry, they will do much better if broken up.





Plant with some root stimulator at first and lots of water in raised, good, acid soil. Pine needles are great mulch. Have fun!!!!!!!!
every spring
These shrubs bloom each spring on the previous season's growth, having formed buds by summer's end, so don't prune them after early summer lest you sacrifice next year's flowers.





The buds for next years blooms will be formed this year, so it important that the faded blooms are removed, otherwise you will not get a flower on that stem next year. Rhododendron food should be applied after the plant has finished blooming. Pruning consists mainly of removing the spent flowers, and cutting back longer branches which may spoil the symmetry of the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin