Saturday, December 5, 2009

How can I get my Crepe Myrtle to bloom more?

I have several crepe myrtles in my yard, some bloom okay and others don't seem to bloom at all, although they are the same age, healthy, same lighting/watering conditions etc...


Sometimes they will get large amounts of those flower buds on them, but never open. In the fall I see tons of hard crunchy unopened flower buds. Any tips on getting them to finish up the process and bloom. I love crepe myrtles. Thanks for your help.How can I get my Crepe Myrtle to bloom more?
Crepe myrtle only blooms on new growth. I trim mine in Feb or March, well before they are trying or bud out. They are gorgeous this year. The two I didn't trim back aren't in bloom yet, but I want them to get a little bigger before I attempt to shape them. This site should help out:


http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/鈥?/a>How can I get my Crepe Myrtle to bloom more?
Never top a crepe myrtle.





Usually, if you leave them alone, they do fine.


Do not fertilize now, don't over water.


Mine only get rain water and do fine.


They love full sun and a windy location.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin