Friday, December 11, 2009

Why are my annuals from last year growning and starting to bloom?

I thought annuals only live on year. But these have little blooms on them. Is this just a fluke or will they actually thrive again. Should dig them up?Why are my annuals from last year growning and starting to bloom?
Sometimes they just do that. It's like getting a bonus. Don't dig them up unless you have a place to re-pot and keep them in a window with a little sun.Why are my annuals from last year growning and starting to bloom?
Some plants sold as annuals are actually perennials or biennials. They may bloom again for you if you do not let them get too ';leggy';. Check a garden book to see which kind they are.
';Hardy annuals'; will regrow in certain zones...gerbera daisies are hardy in zone 8, just one example.





Dig them up if you want to, I'd let them be and take cuttings for more starts. I can't have too many plants, love my Jungle.
They might be what's called ';volunteers,'; or new flowers which have grown from the seeds dropped from last year's annuals.
this happened to me too. maybe they self sowed themselves.
Probably self sown. Sure, dig them up and plant them wherever you want them.





How nice for you to have plants growing already. I still have snow!
Depends on what they are. Alot of annuals have the seed in the flower part that dries out and reseeds itself. They may not do this every year, or not as strong a plant as when you do new seed yourself. Some kinds of flowers however do really good, like marigolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin