Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How long and when does Colombine generally bloom and does it reseed itself?

Thanks for your answers!How long and when does Colombine generally bloom and does it reseed itself?
I have a couple of different varieties that bloom from mid spring to early summer (the last of the bunch are just now in full bloom). I find in my zone (Oregon) established plants are extremely hardy, even to the point of surviving accidental spraying with round up or dying back in the heat of summer with no water only to come back later in the fall or spring; however, while they do reseed, they are very picky. I would read the instruction on a commercial packet for your zone.





Most of mine are under plantings (I think that's the term) for a group of Rhody's all underneath a decorative cherry. They are inter-planted with ferns and in that bed the last to bloom.





In other areas, they are mixed with Astible, fernleaf bleeding heart, dutchman's breaches, snow glories and crocus and english hycaniths ( or capanulata(sic) - I've heard both names used). They tend to bloom in the middle of the show, starting with he glories and crocus with the Astible being the last. The fernleaf bleeding heart will bloom in succession throughout the season as long as its watered and fed consistently.





They're a plant that's grown on me. I didn't really like them at first, but their general resilience and the range of colors they offer in shade have made me a fan.How long and when does Colombine generally bloom and does it reseed itself?
I'm in the UK, mine flower from late may to mid june, they do self seed well, and as said before they cross pollinate so you get a lovely 'naturalised' look to the area when they are established. You could try mixing with poppies, (annual type) they also self seed well, and mine are just comimg into flower, so they would flower after the columbines, which is what you are wanting.


Also why stick to self seeders? add a couple of herbecious perrenials, they look after themselves and come back year after year. I love orange crocosmia, lovely leaves and flowers, dont need staking and establish quickly.
my Columbines (Grannies Bonnets) are just going over, they usually flower in June in South Wales, they will self seed or you can collect the seed quite easily after flowering, when the seed pod is dry on the plant tap it, if you hear the seeds inside rattling just pop them out onto the area where you want them to grow, its as simple as that.lol
I have some in my back yard now. It reseeded it self from last year. It is up about 6 inches and should bloom in about 6 weeks. I live in zone 5.


Enjoy. They are a pretty plant.
They bloom for a few weeks in mid-late spring and yes..they reseed very easily. They cross pollinate so you never know what you will end up with.
In my part of the country (WV) they bloom in the early spring and they do reseed.





Added: they bloom for about 1 month

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin