Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How do I get my Hydrengeas to bloom?

I have had them in the ground for 3 years now. They were already blooming when I put them into the ground but they have not bloomed or even budded since. I am in zone 4 and the soil is mostly clay. Any advice?How do I get my Hydrengeas to bloom?
There are a number of reason why your hydrangea did not bloom. 1. It may be planted in too much shade. 2. Winter damage to your flower buds. H. macrophylla blooms on old wood (last years growth) if damaged through the winter you will not get flowers the next year. 3. Pruning at the wrong time and too much.Certain hydrangeas can take pruning but If you cut back H. macrophylla too much and at the wrong time you are also cutting next years flowers.


It is important to know what cultivar you have as each variety has different requirements.How do I get my Hydrengeas to bloom?
check with your local garden supply center. i seem to recall them as being 'acid' loviing plants...meaning you're going to have to add something to the soil to boost their ability to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin