Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How do you get an aloe plant to bloom?

I've had various aloe plants through the years and they have never produced flowers, yet I know they do. Is there some special procedure you have to follow like putting them in a dark room?How do you get an aloe plant to bloom?
Aloe will only bloom in a sub-tropical or tropical environment. It needs a certain temperature and certain numbers of daylight hours for a certain number of months to bloom.How do you get an aloe plant to bloom?
I don't know.I have the same problem with our aloes.It is most likely that they will not flower until they get to a certain age.They could be like bamboo Whig dose not flower until they are about 60 or even Agave which takes 100 years to flower.Probably the more sun the better.I disagree with what D.A said as we live in Sydney and that is not tropical and I have seen them flower.
Aloes have a nickname.. ';the century plant';. This comes from the notion that they take a very long time to get old enough to bloom. Some of them can take as much as 10 yrs.
yes the tropical conditions is the key to aloes ( or similar euphorbia / succulent ) flowering I'm in the Whitsundays and all my aloes etc flower every year .


try giving them humid conditions and plenty of sun ( as opposed to your theory of a dark room ) but do not , i repeat do not over water them . twice a year is plenty . good luck .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin