Saturday, December 5, 2009

How do I get my African violets to bloom?

This is how I've been caring for my African violet: I keep it in a small pot out of direct sunlight. I don't get any water on the leaves. I water from a dish underneath the pot, only after the soil has dried out. For the first time today I put African violet food in the water; before now I had only been using water from the fish tank. The flowers died soon after I bought it (I think the cats ate them, but the pot is now out of reach of the cats), and it gets new leaf growth but no blooms. Also, how do I keep dust off those fuzzy leaves? Today I gently brushed them off with an old toothbrush, but I don't want to damage the plant.





One more thing: my husband's grandma has a few that bloom nicely, but they also branch out a bit from the pot like hanging vines. I like the compact look better than hanging, so how would I prune them?





I adore African violets and I'm thinking of keeping a row of them in small whimsical pots on top of my aquarium, if I can take care of them properly.How do I get my African violets to bloom?
All i can tell you is what i do for mine and they bloom almost year round.


I also keep mine in small pots...about 4 to 6 inch pot.


I water mine directly to the soil but of course not on the leaves.


I water them weekly, but i don't saturate the soil...probably about a half to full cup per week...maybe a little more if the soil dries out too fast. A good rule of thumb for watering most plants is ';don't let the soil dry so much that it pulls away from the sides of the pot';


I keep mine next to the window, they do get some direct sun but only about an hour a day the rest of the time they just get regular light from outside.


I don't feed them anything at all...but i do freshen their soil every year or so.


And that's about all i do....they bloom continuously almost and the foilage is thick and healthy.


Good luckHow do I get my African violets to bloom?
Hi. I'm not too sure the secret to African Violets but I do know they are a very finicky houseplant. My mom received one from her friend as a gift to her when I was born. I am 28 yrs old and it is still going strong mind you being in three different houses during that time. What I do know she does is that she has always kept it on a side table near the living room picture window. If I recall they receive direct sunlight but not direct sunlight on the rising or setting side of the house. I believe she waters them once a week or so and I think has repotted the plant once when it needed a bigger pot to root. I dont think shes ever given it any specific plant food, being fearful she might kill it, just water, sunlight and love.
Miracle Grow works wonders.
  • curly hair styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    dry skin