Saturday, December 5, 2009

What are some good flowers and flowering shrubs that bloom for long periods of time?

I'm looking for breeds that bloom throughout the entire season. If they bloom throughout the spring and summer, that would be ideal. I am in Zone 7.What are some good flowers and flowering shrubs that bloom for long periods of time?
Hi:


I live in zone seven and there are a variety of shrubs that will bloom a period of time.





Loropetalum - spring and summer


Viburnums - throughout the growing season


Tea Olive or Osmanthus -small tree - fragrant tiny white flowers that bloom throughout the entire year.


Indian Hawthorn - spring


Azaleas - spring





These are just a few. I am a landscaper and designer and what I try to do for my clients is to plant different flowering shrubs so they will have blooms year around. The Pieris Japonica is a great shrub for blooming in late winter and early spring.





I will link you to the gallery of plants section of my website. There are many different plant specimens that will work in our area. I will also link you to the site map as this page has everything that is on the website. Browse through and see if you can find any other information that will be useful to you. Good luck to you and have a great day!


Kimberly





http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c鈥?/a>





http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c鈥?/a>What are some good flowers and flowering shrubs that bloom for long periods of time?
A lot of flowers will bloom for long periods of time if you dead-head them. Cut off the dead flowers after they bloom. I go out and clean the dead or dying blooms out of mine at least weekly. They bloom much longer that way. I have roses %26amp; carnations. Crape myrtle bushes %26amp; trees are long lasting bloomers too. You just trim them back in very early spring, before they start budding out. They only flower on new growth. I trimmed mine back a couple of weeks ago, and with those, you don't have to keep messing with them all summer. I too am in zone 7
SEARCH GOOGLE SOMETIME
Most annuals bloom all spring, summer and fall. Annuals are the ones you plant every year like marigolds, petunias, begonias, impatiens, etc. Cannas are tender bulbs, but they make a pretty background, come in different heights and colors. Most flowering shrubs only bloom 4-6 weeks every year. Crepe Myrtles are great in August, Forsythia in the early spring, Azaleas in late spring and early summer. Ask at your local garden center what shrubs would be good in your area. I try to plant my yard so that there is changing color all season with the perennials and flowering bushes, and the annuals fill in the blank spots and make color when the perennials aren't in bloom.
I agree with Pam. Annuals are none stop. I love them! Here is a ';short'; list:





http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Catego鈥?/a>
Zinnias are fabulous for butterflies and hummingbirds.





Azaleas are great and so are gardenias and hydrangeas. Roses bloom all the time also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin