Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What blooming plants can I plant that will bloom often?

I would like to plant some flower plants that I can cut flowers from for my home. I live in west Texas. Thanks!What blooming plants can I plant that will bloom often?
ok plants are divided into 2 categories - annuals and periennals. Annuals are flowers like geraniums, begonias, petunias, marigolds etc. They live for one year and then die. Periennals come back every year - they are azaleas, hostas, shrubs, daylillies etc. Periennals will normally bloom once per yer and then won't bloom until the next year-(think of tulips) Annuals are everblooming but will die when it frosts. For cut flowers you may want something like zinnias. Zinnias are great - in your area they might be annuals but you can dead-head them(pull the spent flowers off) place them in a brown paper sack and then next year re-seed them. Also try foxglove, gladiolas etcWhat blooming plants can I plant that will bloom often?
You dead head it by taking off the dead flower heads, so they will bloom again. Most annuals bloom all summer, with a lot of deadheading. Perennials will bloom only once each year. Stick with annuals for summer color.
Most annual flowers will rebloom if you deadhead them regularly. If you let them go to seed, they will stop blooming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin