Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How long do tulips stay in bloom?

My mother in law gave me a pot of tulips for Valentine's Day with beautiful white blosoms. I kept the soil moist and put the plant on the window sill for light. But the tips started turning yellow and the petals fell off after only 2 weeks. Did I do something wrong? What should I do with it now?How long do tulips stay in bloom?
You cut the flower stem all the way down, but not the leaves. Take it outside and plant it about 4 to 6 inches deep. That is the depth of the soil over the bulb itself. Water them like you do any outdoor plant. When all the leaves turn yellow and brown cut them off. Don't cut them while they are still green. This is the bulbs food. They should start growing again around this time next year. Feed them when they start growing again. Depending on the weather, they should bloom for 1 to 4 weeks. If it is a dry hot spring they may bloom and wilt in say 7 days. If the spring is wet and cold or cool, the bloom could last for up to a month.How long do tulips stay in bloom?
2 weeks is pretty good, actually.





Leave the pot in sunlight for several more weeks until the foliage dies back. Then dig up the bulbs and store them in a cool, dry place for several months.





You can then re-pot them (google ';forcing tulips';) or plant them outdoors in a suitable place in September or October, for blooms next spring.
My husband gave me tulips for my birthday a few weeks back, potted. Mine started to die and I wanted to add them to my flower bed so I called a gardening center and they said that tulips just don't do well inside. What you can do is replant the bulbs. Just empty the pot out and put the bulbs out. Cut off the roots and stems and them lay them outside to dry out or in a window seal with a lot of sun light. If there are sprouts from the bulbs you can replant them too. You may want to cut the steams and leave the bulbs in the pot for a week or so to get sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin