Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What flowers can I plant now that will bloom for the holidays?

I live in a mini dorm near San Diego State University. College is expensive and money is tight so buying fresh flowers for inside is out of the question. But I have a big yard and the landlord said I could plant anything I wanted. Can anyone suggest some easy, fast growing flowers I can cut into vases for the holidays? Thanks! What flowers can I plant now that will bloom for the holidays?
MASTER GARDENER TO THE RESCUE!





Fall color for holiday blooms in San Diego.


Here are but a few suggestions...





stokes aster


gloriosa daisy


yarrow


zinnia


marigold


strawflower


dianthus


tea rose


daylily


cosmos


salvia (many)


lavender


dusty miller


larkspur


and toss in some baby's breath for filler.





Planted now in San Diego area you'll have cut flowers Turkey Day through Christmas.


For a complete list contact your local San Diego County Cooperative Extension office and speak with a MASTER GARDENER.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin