Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How do I get my passion flower to bloom?

When I buy them they have blooms/buds on them, but after they bloom I never get any more. I was told putting the plants outside will do the trick.(I had one inside for years) But, alas, nada.How do I get my passion flower to bloom?
Passion flower vines only bloom once on the existing vine. Cut them back and they will make new shoots and bloom again. Also, they make fruit...so, don't cut the blooms off if you want to get the fruit. The fruit starts making after the bloom fades and comes from the center of the flower. I guess you'll have to decide between the flowers andor the fruit at some point.





You also have to fertilize them and give them plenty of light like others said before me.





I have passion flower vines growing in two different places in my garden.How do I get my passion flower to bloom?
Feed them regularly with a plant fertilizer that has a higher second number. That and increasing daylight hours should do the trick. They need 8-10 hours of light to bloom, 12-14 if that light is artificial.
Ours is outside and flowers every year
you have the same problem that many plant folks have. You say it was blosoming when you purchased it and then nothing. I can guarantee you that it will bloom again, and the problem is not your fault. Most plants that are full of blossoms have usually been fed a bloom buster type of product. When we buy plants we want them in boom, so the growers accomodate us. Bloom buster type products are usually 20/40/20. The center #is for the flowers. Feed them 20/60/20 and they go crazy. However, no enery is going to leaves or roots. So when the blossoms die the plant has to recycle itself. Use a 6-6-6 and it will come back around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin