Thursday, June 24, 2010

My onions are producing bloom stalks. Does this mean I will not get bulbs to eat this year?

I planted the green sets sold in bundles of 50 earlier this spring and I live in Zone 7-8.My onions are producing bloom stalks. Does this mean I will not get bulbs to eat this year?
Harvest onions when the tops have fallen over and dried. On sunny, breezy days, onions may be pulled and left in the garden for a day or two to dry before they are taken to a curing area. Curing must take place for the onions to be stored for any length of time. Cure onions by placing them in a warm, well-ventilated area until the necks are thoroughly dry. With warm temperatures, good air circulation and low humidity, curing should be completed within two weeks after harvest. Onions are best stored in a cool moderately dry area in ventilated containers.My onions are producing bloom stalks. Does this mean I will not get bulbs to eat this year?
yes, bolted onions quickly lose all sweetness. The plant transfers that stored energy (in the bulb) up to the flowering stalk. If too late to harvest then let them flower and collect the seeds. You can plant onions from seed too. This is a good way to get green onions or spring onions.
Sorry to say that once they bolt, they need to be harvested as the onion will begin to deteriorate. Sometimes this happens if it gets too cold at a critical point. Some varieties are more prone to bolting than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin