Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How can i get my christmas cactus to bloom?

it's a lovely big plant...last year there were about 6 fushia blooms....this year, only one (and it blooms in summer, not at christmas...i don't know why). how can i get it to put out more blooms? it gets indirect light from an east window. how often should i water it? how often should it be fertilized? thanks for any info.How can i get my christmas cactus to bloom?
Beautiful plants...I love these. Here is some great information you will like:





http://www.humeseeds.com/xmasccts.htmHow can i get my christmas cactus to bloom?
The way I get mine to bloom is in the summer I put them out under my hostas or other plants in bright, filtered light. I fertilize sparingly and when fall comes before frost I bring them inside and put them in a cool, sunny spot. I also stop watering for a while, only giving water if the soil is very dry. I do that for a month then start to give more water again, which will normally get them to set buds. When they form large buds you can move them, but put them at the same angle to the sun they had in the other spot or you might lose the blossoms.
Maybe you have an Easter Cactus. They are very similar but they bloom in the spring instead of the winter. I have included a site that you may find helpful. I have a Christmas cactus and it always starts producing the buds at the end of October. I water it sparingly letting it dry out between watering's. I have it setting in a low light room. I start fertilizing it in April and it has bloomed every year for the past six years.





http://www.alexandgregory.com/Cactus_eas鈥?/a>
in order for your plants to bloom for christmas you must put it in a dark closet in september and water less than usual. then in november take it out. it should have buds.





some people put theirs in a room that gets only sun during the day and no light at all at night.





in november place it out where every one can see it
In order to get your Christmas cactus to set buds, night time temperatures should be reduced to 55/65 degrees and plants must have complete darkness.





See source for more info

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin