Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Can I separate my iris bulbs before the bloom this spring?

Or will digging them up nowmake them not bloom this year. I really needed to clean out my beds in the fall, but due to a back injury, I was unable to do it. I live in South Carolina.Can I separate my iris bulbs before the bloom this spring?
Yes...you can even do it now. It's a good idea to. And they will bloom. They will be thankful for the extra growing space and they will show ya!! Sorry to hear about your back!Can I separate my iris bulbs before the bloom this spring?
Why not dig out just around the edges leaving some of the plant undisturbed. This will give the settled plant a better chance of blooming this year, and give it room to expand. don't forget not to plant the entire rhizome under. the roots and bottom of rhizome is all that should go under ground.
You probably can dig them up now (as long as the ground isn't frozen); I agree with you in that they may not bloom. However, I've planted mail order iris in the spring and they did bloom but much later than normal, so they might surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin